Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Color of Contentment, part 2

In my last post, I shared that the solution to discontent is God himself, a loving Father who knows us well, who orchestrates the circumstances of my life into growth. Our remedy to groping after relief from that gnawing lack in our souls is our trust in him. And, as I've said before, Jesus is the one who actually grows our trust. More than a decision, trust ultimately is a fruit of our growing relationship of love with God. The more I realize how much he loves me, the more I trust him. The more I experience the pickles God gets me out of, the more my trust grows. 


I mentioned briefly that the path of a discontented heart can lead to ruin. Let me say, first off, that sometimes there is a good discontent, one that is born of the Spirit. I believe it is one way God speaks to us about change. We feel a nagging uneasiness about our circumstances, or what we are doing, or how we are doing something. Sometimes, that's God's way of telling us change is needed. He has such a wonderful way of urging us, of nudging us into this kind of change. The kind of discontent I'm talking about in this blog is the kind that is unhealthly, that leads us down paths of materialism or some other lifestyle that is destructive.

What are the consequences of a love of money and stuff and a lack of contentment?  
One other passage comes to mind as God has worked with me in this area of my life.  1st Timothy 6:6-10. "But godliness with contentment is great gain."  Paul has been chewing out those who think they can use "godliness" for financial gain. (v. 5)  And, boy, haven't we seen enough of that?! And then he says, in effect, “I’ll tell you what real gain is: godliness with contentment.” A knockout combo!  As we grow in our love relationship with this Father, we learn to think like he does (however meager it may begin). As our relationship with Father displaces our need to grope after things that he hasn't given us, we find contentment. If God's got your back, what more do you need? In him you have everything you need to be successful in his economy, in his estimation. And, who else do you want to be estimating your worth? Really! Paul continues, "For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.  Keep it all in perspective. 

"People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction." Notice: “People who want to get rich…” An important word, wouldn't you say? WANT. Do you WANT to get rich, to be wealthy, well-to-do, and center your life on people who are? And purpose to develop your circle of friends who are. It's one thing to be gifted with making money, to know how to "turn a buck," and to use that for bettering mankind. It's quite another to be obsessed with wealth, or the lack of it, and WANT to get rich. Here’s your warning from the man: "People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil." There it is, that thing that the writer of Hebrews told us we are supposed to keep ourselves free from, “the love of money.”  The love of money is a root … of all kinds of evil.  Not money itself—a LOVE for money and things it affords and provides. 

So, what kinds of evil?  The rest of the verse: Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.  I have known people who are lovers of money. They were stingy, tight, selfish and unaware of their selfishness, focused on material, person gain. And, yes, I have known “Some people,” as he says here, who “eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.” Not a pretty sight. 

Let’s read on.  Verse [11]: “But you, man of God, flee from all this…”  He’s talking to a man, Timothy.  But, he’s also addressing each of us. “But you, O child of God, flee from all this…and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.  He’s telling us to “flee and pursue.”  What to flee from and what to pursue.  What to take flight from and what to chase.  What to abandon and what to dig your heels into. Go a different direction, he says, than the easy path of materialism, the obsession with getting. I like how The Message renders Jesus' words in Matthew 6:30 and surrounding verses. "What I'm trying to do is get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so that you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find your everyday human concerns will be met." That sounds a whole lot better than some people who “eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs”!

Let’s quickly finish up our Hebrews passage that we started last time. There is in these verses a really neat sort of twist. Notice again that verse 5 helps us by telling us what God has said.  We can be content in any and all circumstances because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”  So, he helps us out with that understanding.  Now, watch what happens.  Verse [6]:  “So WE say…”  Isn’t that sort of neat?!  I think so. What? You don’t get it?

Let's try again. God says this, so we say … that.  Get it? Well, anyway, I think it’s just a really neat way to get the point across. Here’s what God says and what he says is true and so we can rely on what he says and what he says is, “I’m here to stay, Skip!” and so I can say something, too.  …and with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”  Ha! Go ahead!  Do what you want to me!  IT doesn’t matter!  I’m not afraid.  The creator, my savior, he is for me.  He’s on my side; he’s at my side. 

So we say “WITH CONFIDENCE”  Enough said?  Enough said. 


I think this calls for some prayer... 
Father, this is so plain, it’s almost silly that I even feel like I should spend this much time here.  There’s such a simple message here of surrender to your loving embrace … and trust in your goodness … and in your non-negotiable, uncompromising grace for us. I declare my trust in you now. I confess that I struggle with being content. And, Lord, not only do I wrestle with my flesh here, but when I see myself as I really am and how hard it is for me to live what should be so simple, I panic. I don’t know if anyone reading this blog has that same reaction, but that’s how I describe mine. And, I confess, that panic is really fear. Help me be like my son when he was a child and jumped into my arms and trusted me to catch him. I simply give myself and all that I am, and all that I’m not, to You … now. Help us all to live in the reality of your presence now and rest in our walk with you. Amen. 

No comments: