Pages

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Listening

I am preparing my blog entry on the next installment of the Living Loved series. The next one has to do with sharing the journey with others who experience Jesus. I'm not quite ready to share that one ... still ruminating. It'll be a good one {wink, wink}, so stay tuned!

I do want to say something today about listening. Actually, I have quite a lot to say about that topic. But, I will start with something I posted to my facebook page and test the waters to see if anyone is listening to me first :) ...

"I think listening WELL has much to do with listening to a person's heart. We go into conversations too often with preconceptions about the person, never having really "listened" to them before. And, because of our drivenness to get people to "move on," we often already have a solution for those we are "helping." Have we contributed to their healing? Maybe. But, maybe we've given them a band aid without cleaning the wound."

We like to "fix" people, don't we? We are fixated on fixing. Is that really our job though?  

Skip

3 comments:

fidelitas said...

Sorry ... did you say something? ;)

Post Tenebras Lux said...

One vote for "Not our job."

Unknown said...

"Not our job." That's my conclusion, too.